Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paint color help

Go down 
+6
yorkiemom
Mousey
rottnmom
kbullet
Snitty
mcpug
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 8:27 pm

Anyone good at picking paint colors??

I just bought this new rug and I totally love it, its mostly red with all kind of other colors, blue, green, yellow ect

I found some old curtains that go with it (red pin stripe) but I need a wall color and a color for 2 chars that I am going to buy.

We have oak hardwood floors (60 years old), I also have a lot of antiques (dark stained wood)

My couch is a tan color, and my walls now are also a tan color but its not working.

Any ideas?
(removed pics)

Last edited by mcpug on Sun 01 Aug 2010, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 8:31 pm

Colour.... Just saying 8)
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 8:33 pm

I like the idea of pulling out one of the subtle colours in the rug and using that. I would go with the green in the rug.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 9:21 pm

I second bullet's suggestion, but would have to go with the blue. Then some thow cushions in the red with a bit of the blue and green thrown in.

Something along the line of this grey/blue, but a few shades lighter.

Paint color help Met-plra_blue-lg

LOVE the rug btw!
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 9:37 pm

I actually like the colour you have, I would just do the curtains in a solid red to match then cushions and a throw over the couch to tie in the other colours and then wooden framed photos on the walls.

I'd also move the tv to the corner and have the chair angled on the wall the tv is now towards it
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 10:53 pm

Go red...I want to paint my living room red, once I get my black leather sofa.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 12:41 am

pick up those soft blues,looks like there is some in the curtains it will soften the red and pop the blues on the rug
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 7:42 am

Chocolate brown.
Back to top Go down

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 8:33 am

Boston wrote:
Chocolate brown.

I concur Smile
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 9:36 am

I thought about chocolate brown but my house is so small I think it would be too dark, but I am still thinking about it.

I read that green is the best color to accentuate red because its opposite the color wheel, like a brownie green (olive) or something.

I never thought of blue but there are some pretty blues just like the one you posted rottn that would really brighten it up

HMMMMM

this is going to be a tough choice lol I am going to look at chairs today at some used/antique stores so if I find something I will post pics
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 9:45 am

I want to go to mcpug,used/antique stores are my passion,right now I am searching for a solid oak antique dresser to match the 1910 oak bed I bought 3 weeks ago
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 6:25 pm

Yorkie, not a dresser but I'm going to use it as one. Got it off Kijiji about 6 months ago and haven't had any decent days off together to get it outside and strip/refinish it. The temporary leg in the center will be replaced with a hand made oak one by a neighbor, that'll take that 'dip' out of the body. The people that saw it before me offered the lady $50 for it !!! She was only asking $75 for frig sake. It stands 6' tall and is over 4' wide. I fell in LOVE with it, it's so quirky and just had to give it a home.

Paint color help 4351l9l_20

Paint color help IMG_2086
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 6:59 pm

It is stunning! cheers
Back to top Go down

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 7:18 pm

I just painted my livingroom a nice green but my furniture is dark and carpet is beige, I picked the color because the spa I go to had it on their walls, it's very calming. You could go a lighter chocolate brown, I think your room needs a little darker color on the walls.
Back to top Go down
smurry
Settling in
Settling in

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 8:35 pm

I was also going to suggest chocolate brown. Post pics once you decide Smile
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 11:34 pm

OMG it is beautiful,what a lucky day you had when you bought that it is GREAT
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSun 01 Aug 2010, 2:39 pm

mcpug wrote:
I thought about chocolate brown but my house is so small I think it would be too dark, but I am still thinking about it.

I read that green is the best color to accentuate red because its opposite the color wheel, like a brownie green (olive) or something.

I never thought of blue but there are some pretty blues just like the one you posted rottn that would really brighten it up

HMMMMM

this is going to be a tough choice lol I am going to look at chairs today at some used/antique stores so if I find something I will post pics

I'm not good at decorating anything. :lol: When I saw the rug, the first colour that came to mind was an olive green, because of the colour in the rug.

I do like the idea of a chocolate brown, I don't think it will make your room look small.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitimeSun 01 Aug 2010, 2:42 pm

rottnmom, that was a good find. I love the detail in the wood work, very nice. You should get it appraised because I bet you may find that it's worth more than the $75 the lady was asking for it.

My mom bought this butt ugly lamp shade from a friend who was having a yard sale for $20. It has an antique look to it. Another lady at the yard sale saw the lamp shade, wanted it so badly she was asking my mom to sell to her for $200. Told my mom that she should get the lamp shade appraised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paint color help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint color help   Paint color help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paint color help
Page 1 of 1