Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Genetics are Awesome.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Fri 23 Jul 2010, 8:40 pm

Wow...I can't believe that this is something that I have always known and heard and yet don't know the origins especially when we have an extensive local background and history being right near the underground railway. Time to do some more research on my area.

ETA: St. Catharines was the final terminus on the Underground Railroad for hundreds of slaves in the 1820s. The Underground Railroad and Niagara’s Freedom Trail was a network of people who hid and guided black slaves as they fled the U.S. and headed north to Canada to seek freedom. Follow the Freedom Seeker signs and connect with history as you retrace the route they followed.

It begins at ‘The Crossing’, which is located along the Niagara River by historic Fort Erie and ends at the B.M.E. (British Methodist Episcopal) Church/Salem Chapel. This national historic site, through its association with the famed “Underground Railroad” conductor Harriet Tubman, was an important place of abolitionist activity. She was called the ‘Black Moses’ and graced St. Catharines with her presence for ten years. Her abolitionist activities and formation of societies assisted former slaves in adjusting to their new life in freedom.

Prominent businessmen and abolitionists William Hamilton Merritt and Oliver Phelps, helped the new citizens purchase land to build the British Methodist Episcopal Church, Salem Chapel in 1855 and later the Zion Baptist Church. A provincial plaque honours the memory and gravesite of Rev. Anthony Burns, the last person tried under the Fugitive Slave Act in Massachusetts, a verdict that returned him to slavery and incited street riots. Boston abolitionists bought his freedom and financed his education before he settled in St. Catharines.

Visit the award winning ‘Follow the North Star’ exhibit at the St. Catharines Museum or call the Harriet Tubman Centre for Cultural Services 905-682-0993.

92 Geneva Street, St. Catharines. For appointments at the B.M.E. Church contact Ada Summers at 905-984-6769. Visit www.freedomtrail.ca for more information.

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
MikaKeara
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
MikaKeara

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Fri 23 Jul 2010, 10:38 pm

Ohh gosh she is cute though!!!!!!! Very Happy

That must of been a shocker! Shocked
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Fri 23 Jul 2010, 11:42 pm

You would be surprised what we had to do to adopt mixed race children here,right down to,at that time trying to find even kids books that had black children in them,nearly impossible.

The first little guy we got was through an agency here,but at the time we lived in Oklahome,brought him home,got transfered out of there in a
big hurry. First black children in the town I am back in.did not sit well with the town folk to say the least

Settling in
Amomma

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 12:37 am

This is a good demonstration of how words really only matter by their context, geography, culture, time of meaning. Growing up about 20 years or so ago in Alberta, half black people I knew called themselves mulatto, and it was not considered a bad word at all. It was not the equivalent of the N word.

Now, how many of you use the term Eskimo? It is my understanding that Eskimo is a bad name given to Inuit by their enemies (cannot excatly recall, I think it was the Dene), meaning "eaters of raw meat" in a derogatory way. So if you are avoiding the n word, and now the m word, you should surely also be avoiding the e word. :|
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 8:30 am

What a beautiful baby, she looks like an angel.
My two older grandkids have a Jamaican dad and they were very light in skin color when they were born and got darker as they got older.
They both call themselves "black" when referring to their race.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 9:01 am

I think so much depends on where we were raised,and of course what our parents taught us.I also think we all percieve words differently.What is alright for one to say may be taken as an insult by another

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 11:07 am

yorkiemom wrote:
I think so much depends on where we were raised,and of course what our parents taught us.I also think we all percieve words differently.What is alright for one to say may be taken as an insult by another

I concur :|
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 5:29 pm

Amomma wrote:
This is a good demonstration of how words really only matter by their context, geography, culture, time of meaning. Growing up about 20 years or so ago in Alberta, half black people I knew called themselves mulatto, and it was not considered a bad word at all. It was not the equivalent of the N word.

Now, how many of you use the term Eskimo? It is my understanding that Eskimo is a bad name given to Inuit by their enemies (cannot excatly recall, I think it was the Dene), meaning "eaters of raw meat" in a derogatory way. So if you are avoiding the n word, and now the m word, you should surely also be avoiding the e word. :|

My husband is Inuit. He doesn't like the word Eskimo either although I always say "Eskimo kiss"
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 6:11 pm

actually I learned not to say eskimo when I lived in canada and had an inuit foster child,we were set straight very quickly

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 6:40 pm

Mousey wrote:

My husband is Inuit. He doesn't like the word Eskimo either although I always say "Eskimo kiss"

A few of my friends have a habit of saying that, I'm always correcting them with the proper term Inuit.

I think a lot of terms used are seriously people not knowing the proper term. An example, I have a habit of using the word "putz" for someone who dilly dallies and takes their sweet piss ass time.

One time after work, I had to stay a little later. So I was talking to one of the programmers (who happens to be Jewish) and I used the word "putz" to describe how quickly the VP was moving at getting an answer back to us. He does have a sense of humor (thank God), then proceeded to advise me what that word meant in Hebrew and how some people could be offended. I never used the word again unless I heard someone else using it, and to inform them how to some who are very conservative it could be offensive.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sat 24 Jul 2010, 7:22 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Mousey wrote:

A few of my friends have a habit of saying that, I'm always correcting them with the proper term Inuit.

I think a lot of terms used are seriously people not knowing the proper term. An example, I have a habit of using the word "putz" for someone who dilly dallies and takes their sweet piss ass time.

One time after work, I had to stay a little later. So I was talking to one of the programmers (who happens to be Jewish) and I used the word "putz" to describe how quickly the VP was moving at getting an answer back to us. He does have a sense of humor (thank God), then proceeded to advise me what that word meant in Hebrew and how some people could be offended. I never used the word again unless I heard someone else using it, and to inform them how to some who are very conservative it could be offensive.

I had no idea that was a Jewish word Shocked
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 12:26 am

I had no clue either,like I said it is amazing some of the words we used,that can be taken so badly by others

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 8:49 am

You learn something new everyday I had no idea about "putz" or "eskimo" :|
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 9:14 am

would be interested to know what Putz means in Jewish,maybe someone said if they did I missed it

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 8:07 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
would be interested to know what Putz means in Jewish,maybe someone said if they did I missed it

It's a saying they use to describe the penis.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
yorkiemom wrote:

It's a saying they use to describe the penis.

Grin
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:30 pm

wonder how many times I have told people I am just putzing

Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm

I caught myself saying this word today to my 7 year old niece and funny how I caught my words half way outta my mouth.

edited for spelling...duh long day!

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin

Last edited by Kewl Chick on Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:38 pm

No wonder people from other countries have trouble with the english language

Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Mon 26 Jul 2010, 12:38 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
wonder how many times I have told people I am just putzing

Me too. :lol:
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Mon 26 Jul 2010, 12:39 pm

does this mean we need to research our words better?

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Mon 26 Jul 2010, 1:20 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
does this mean we need to research our words better?

No. :lol:

But I do think to those who get easily offended by certain things, really need to stop and think about who it is coming from. Is it coming from someone who seriously doesn't know, and if they knew would not be using a specific term anymore. Or is coming from someone who really does understand and is intentionally trying to be offensive.

When I had used that term to a co-worker who is Jewish. I honestly did not know what it meant in the Hebrew language or how to some it could be taken offensively. I'm glad that he advised me and had a sense of humor about it.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   Mon 26 Jul 2010, 2:08 pm

I think that is so true,and sometimes what the word was yesterday is not the word today.

I am never sure if I am supposed to call an aboriginal that or a native,not sure what ter is correct for a person of colour,so if
I use a term that others may find offensive it is not on purpose

PostSubject: Re: Genetics are Awesome.   

Back to top Go down

Genetics are Awesome.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2